View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 06:35 AM
Duffman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Anson Harris View Post
A bit of a tangent here. If you're trying to avoid politicizing this, you might want to reconsider statements like "adamantly red states." Labeling states as red or blue is worthless, except to political analysts who care about the next election results. It's just another way that our political class divides us.

Using the 2016 presidential election results, there's no state that is uniformly one color or another.​​​ Politically speaking, there are many states that will reliably pledge their electors to one party, but this hardly comes close to characterizing all of the people in the state. Think about the percentages applied to a room of 10 people.
  • Hawaii is the "bluest" with 6 Hillary voters, 3 Trump voters, and 1 other voter
  • Wyoming is the "reddest" with 7 Trump voters, 2 Hillary voters, and 1 other voter.
  • There are 13 "red" states that can muster 7 out of ten voters, but in the 37 other states it's 6 or less.
  • In 28 states, the winner can only muster 5 out of 10 voters.
FL and AZ are 5-5, and TX is 5-4.

Perhaps if we realize that neither side is going away, we can come up with better solutions.

The only exception is DC. 9 out of 10 voted for Hillary, and the last guy can't make up his mind. They're hopeless, but I think we all knew that.
I think you missed the point. The GOP is undeniably less in favor of lockdowns, yet even they're locking stuff down. How do you see us getting out of this? Serious question. Not what you think "should" happen, but what do you think "will" happen? What actions do you think will help/hurt that outcome?

Also, New England largely has the virus under control and its graphs resemble Europe's, which also has the virus under control. So don't tell me it can't be done. If you have a C- halfway through the semester that doesn't mean you just stop showing up and end with a solid F, but it does mean you're going to have to work harder for a B than the student who kept an A all semester.