View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 PM
bus canuck
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A332/A340

Originally Posted by Blueridger View Post
Thanks for the reply Skyone,

I am planning on going to phase II in Dubai sometime in March for the EK interview. In my last post, I was alluding to the fact that the minimum time off in a month was 8 days; that part scares me! If they ever find themselves short-staffed (which seems to be probable this year), they can certainly abuse you! Preferential bidding works great depending on your seniority of course........
How long have you worked at EK? I'm still suffering from "heavyitis" and looking at the possibilities over there considering the US is looking like it's heading into a recession this year. But that's okay, we'll just borrow MORE money from the Chinese, give it to the American people who can then buy MORE of their products, right???
If you could clarify the seniority system / transition bids for me, I would appreciate it. I'm still pretty fuzzy on that whole deal. Happy flying!
For the guys considering EK, this month has brought another stark reminder of how little control you have when you take an ex-pat job.

Last year was relatively quiet as staffing levels were pretty good. However, this year we know that there is record expansion planned and the panic has already started. Airbus Captains who were invited to bid onto the 777 last year, and who had course dates awarded, have suddenly found out that all such courses are cancelled. I assume that the 777 positions will be taken up by DECs.

The Feb. scheds came out with a nasty surprise; Pilots who were senior and had bid for stretches of days off had single day (or night) turn-around trips manually inserted after the original computer solution. This is a knee-jerk reaction from senior management who believe that 6-10 days off in a row are too much. The really galling part is that there is no productivity gain; they merely add these flights as a punitive measure to try and prevent commuting and keep guys in Dubai. (Full disclosure: my life is here and I don't bid or need stretches of days off. I just am discouraged by the childishness of our Flight Ops Management.)

I think some of the guys who have only seen calm times are in for an eye opener. "Knowing how to bid," is not going to help you when flights get inserted. Furthermore, just wait for "factoring" to be applied and then let's discuss FTLs. Finally, I wonder how guys will feel if, as was done in 2005, the new DECs are brought in at a higher salary than the existing Captains?

Anyway, my point in this forum is that you must weigh heavily the issue that you have absolutely no rights in this environment. This fact should be at the top of the the "Cons" on your Pros vs. Cons list, IMHO.