Thread: TSA Numbers
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 05:16 AM
AYLflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2016

I think people were getting too ahead of themselves even just a few weeks ago. I've been watching the TSA numbers every few days and while there is clear demand, those saying in other threads that we'd hit close to last years numbers by the end of this year aren't seeing what's going on in the world.

First off, I still don't understand why many are aiming for 2019 numbers. 2019 was an absolute record all time high for air travel. Airlines couldn't get airplanes fast enough to meet demands, and walking through some airports you were stuck shoulder to shoulder with the pax. Those numbers also include a network of international flying, which doesn't exist right now. I don't have international travel numbers off hand, but I bet quite a bit of that 2mil/day average came from people connecting to/from other parts of the world.

Those days are done, and using 2019 as a metric for today's world is setting yourself up for disappointment IMO.

Before southern states started shutting down again this past week, my hope was that we see 1-1.3 million by the holiday travel season this winter. If states mandate quarantine throughout the summer/fall than I'd be surprised to hit my guess of a bit over a million/day during that period.

I don't care what your view is, all I know is that our industry depends on the American public to stop acting like children and pay attention to the world outside of our borders. Everyone else is working together to try and contain this virus, yet here in the US we're complaining about mask wearing and politicizing everything. Until we can actually unite, instead of divide each other, I don't think things (like air travel in our case here) will bounce back as quickly as some hoped.