View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 12:38 PM
BrazilBusDriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Originally Posted by iceman21 View Post
I'm in the FI/RE community. Have been for the last year or so. Just starting out and playing catch up from years of not being in preparation mode, but in survival mode.
Well I won't hit you with all the cheesy savings rate/magic number stuff, since this forum's only somewhat anonymous, but how far out do you think you are at this point? And what FI/RE specific forums you subscribe to or participate in?

We're probably realistically a decade and a half or two out. Savings took a fairly steep dive when I left the Army and got back into flying planes, and the projection for the pension is a lot different, assuming I stay in the Reserves. We'll see what happens, but so far still employed in this industry. Hopefully it stays that way. Learned about FI mostly through reddit and bogleheads. Been at it in some form or fashion for about 6 years now, so still in the boring middle of the journey. I had a really insufferable Battalion XO when I was a Company XO to thank for the google search that sent me down this path.