View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 04:11 AM
FangsF15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011

I hope you aren't on LTD this long, but a couple things if you exhaust DPMA. If you have the ALPA insurances that kick in at that point, realize the $50k lump sum has to be paid back pro-rata if you return before 36 months after getting the check (48 months-ish after getting sick). So I recommend putting that $50k in a savings account, and only paying yourself 1/36th ($1388.88) per month. Also, if you qualify for the "critical illness" insurance, there is a relatively short timeframe to apply for it. It's only a couple thousand bucks, but still, don't miss out if you qualify.

Also for after DPMA runs out, the "Pilot Enhanced Disability Benefit", which shows in the lower right corner of your "Self Service" page, is a pain to get paid. It was new in C15, and only a handful of folks have gotten it. I had to ask around for months, and no-one seemed to know anything about it. Finally, the ALPA R&I committee guys hooked me up. The 40 hours I had only paid out at about half my hourly rate though. Haven't gotten a good answer as to why.