Thread: Overstaffed...
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 09:55 AM
captive apple
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by N1CEandEZ View Post
My understanding is that trainees are receiving not much, but some pay and benefits. If that’s the case and they are on the payroll I would assume they would require a formal WARN notice given it’s a legal requirement. I’m not 100% sure though. I do think that OO won’t furlough trainees unless they decide to furlough a portion of the pilot group. Keeping trainees on reduced pay hardly costs the company money in the grand scheme of things.
I searched the cares act law and couldn’t find any part requiring 60 days or a WARN notice for all if we took the bail out or tied to CARES. I could be wrong here, but I think the WARN act, that was rammed into law through Ronald Reagan’s admin veto in 1988 applies. If it applies on its own accord then <500 or <1/3 of the work force (whichever is less) may be laid off without a 60 day (WARN) notice. The penalty I believe for not complying is simply those affected by noncompliance are to continue receiving a paycheck for 60 days.

I could have missed something in my search of the CARES Act. The other thing I found about the WARN law is that it is not to be used as flippantly as we all here assumed all airlines were going to send them out to cya.

That said I do think they will employ WARN notices if they do furlough, I was simply bringing up that I don’t think they must issue WARN notices if they comply with the WARN Law.