Old 08-12-2020, 09:26 AM
Pilot Muscle
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2018
Position: Future Pilot
Unhappy Certified mail from FAA - SI good or bad news

Hello aviation lovers,

So I got my Class 1 medical certificate in Jun 2019, however, I needed a few special issuances. In September, the FAA sent me certified mail telling me to send documents required for my special issuances. I was transitioning out of the military by the end of the year and kept asking for extensions because I wanted to make sure my medical records were on file with the VA before proceeding any further with my Class 1 medical. By March, it was almost impossible to get the required documents needed because all lot of offices/doctors that I was dealin with was unavailable because of Covid-19. Fast forward to May/June 2020, and I finally got all of the documents that the FAA was asking for. I was finally able to mail the documents out in the end of June. I've been calling the FAA medical headquarters at OKC almost every week after 6 weeks. I called them yesterday and they said they can't give me an answer because the FAA sent certified mail last Friday, 7 Aug 2020.

Do special issuances get sent certified mail or is certified mail only bad news, meaning I need to send more documents (more labs, more sleep study info, etc.) Or even worse, my special issuance is getting denied? They anxiety of not knowing is killing me 🤒 Also, is it possible the FAA will require me to retake the Class 1 medical exam since it was just over a year ago before they can approve a special issuance? I'm student pilot with no hours and really need the class 3 but I wanted to get the Class 1 medical exam while I was still in the military so I have the green light to pursue aviation after the military and before blowing thousands of dollars in a career field that I can't pursue. And once Covid-19 hit, it pushed everything back...