View Single Post
Old 04-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Slice
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan

Originally Posted by pilottim
Hello all,

I am just asking for some advice. I have wanted to be an airline pilot for 6-7 years. I have invested a huge amount of time and money into a degree and ratings/licences. I am currently 22 years old flying a king air for a 135 company. As I look to the industry is only depresses me. Airlines going into bankruptcy, oil prices only going up, pay decreasing, pensions gone, and schedules getting crappier. Most of the airlines are losing money and its only a matter of time before they are Ch.11. I am in a very serious relationship with my girlfriend and I know its going to be damn hard when/if I am on reserve far from home and I know commuting is a hassel. It just seems like you dont read/hear anything good about this industry.

So I ask myself with all this going on, who in their right mind would want to get themsevles involved in this career?

What do you all think? Any advice?

I mean no disrespect to anyone for the career they chose.
Simple, decide with all the current problems in this industry whether you are willing to take a risk at the proverbial(and now ever shrinking) pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. You've got plenty of years left to get in on the upswing. Imagine being in your 30's, 40's or 50's and dealing with all of this! According to you one would have to be crazy to enter this profession today. So, are you?