View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 06:38 PM
AirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA

Thanks for posting about Wings Wealth Management. They're just a 20 minute drive from my house and I had never heard of them. They have a quiz you can take on how ready you are for retirement. I've been out on medical for over 3 years now and won't be going back so my case is different but I may call them and see what they say. I'll have to see how much they charge, that's been the sticking point with Schwab, they charge a couple of percent per year which is thousands of dollars.

Originally Posted by StillFlyingaBus View Post
I have done a lot of reading on the forum and it seems there are a good number of pilots out there who do much of their own investing. While I admire this, I have to add my two cents here. All the while I really thought that I knew what I was doing until I lost my ass. Enough is enough. I obviously didn't know enough to do it right. They say there's nothing more dangerous than a doctor in a Bonanza - but what about the airline pilot in the stock market? Let's face it, we are far better pilots than we are investors. After losing my butt, I started working with Wings Wealth Management out of Charlotte. They ONLY work with AIRLINE PILOTS who are getting close to retirement. Like over 55. Got my goals and finances in order and under control and got a lot of planning done. Like many other pilots, I have a business - and I got some pretty good strategies that have helped me save some serious bucks in taxes. I'm not pushing Wings Wealth (although they have helped me far more than I could have ever imagined), I am simply suggesting professional advice as opposed to forum advice (Don't shoot me, just a thought). A lot of guys don't want to pay for advice, but when that advice yields a lot more than you can do on your own - or prevent the loss of principal, then I'm in. I'm almost 60, now at $2.8M and really happy I decided to let someone else do the worrying for me.

Just a thought, fellow aviators. I think that when I was doing it myself, I had the equivalent of a private license in the financial services industry. I knew a lot more than a lot of others, but I don't know near as much at the "ATP" that handles it now.

Just my 2 cents............fly safe.