View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 01:35 PM
Funk
Rodeo clown

Joined APC: Feb 2017
Position: Tractor seat

Originally Posted by bender View Post
I was surprised that 90% of the pilot group wasn't willing to make a small temporary adjustment to the ALV in exchange for no furloughs. I'm part of the 10% that would, and I am not a UNA pilot.
I don’t find it all that surprising, but not because of pilot greed or intransigence towards their lower seniority brethren and sisters, but because of the history of Delta asking for concessions from the pilot group, then pocketing the savings and stabbing the group in the back before the ink is dry on the agreements. With the prior history, why would any pilot agree in principle to any concession that they fully expect the company to use as ongoing leverage to erode pay, work rules, vacation, and future participation in profitable times?

Furthermore, for those that weren’t here prior to the era of perpetual profitability, one only need to look at the shifting goalposts, messaging mendacity, and say versus do gap to get a pretty strong feel that the company’s pursuit of pilot concessions has far less to do with company survival and far more to do with resetting relative bargaining and leverage positions vis-à-vis the pilot group. It is abundantly clear that reneging on the SIL for April rebid deal, along with stubborn refusal to even attempt other truly voluntary cost savings measures, while simultaneously taking as many pilot hostages as possible, 2558 at first, then 1941, the company isn’t serious about actual voluntary cost savings. I would add that the most striking example of the company’s drive to punish pilots in spite of data clearly denying the “need” for such steps was the use of FM to stiff the most senior furloughed pilots from a month of furlough pay, saving the company less than two tenths of a percent of the money they then raised off the frequent flyer program.

No, this crisis of job losses isn’t on the shoulders of greedy pilots, it is at the feet of a managerial group that doesn’t respect or understand the pilot group and its keystone position in the short and long-term health of the brand in the eyes of our customers.

Last edited by Funk; 09-15-2020 at 01:46 PM.