Thread: Pilot Shortage?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 05:12 PM
Bahamasflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Originally Posted by ShyGuy View Post
I started this thread with that article, I knew it was too good to be true. Every time the industry leans towards a "pilot shortage" something negative always happens. I remember in high school reading that Delta's hiring would top in 2007 when they would hire 1,200 pilots that year. This was written before 9/11. We all know what happened with 9/11 and 2008 GFC in the lost decade.

And remember the past several years we all looked at retirement charts alone (let alone growth) and everyone talked about the massive hiring spree of 2020-2025. Well, Covid is here and 2020-2025 are shot. I fully expect that IATA's prediction will hold true, that a full recovery to 2019 levels won't be until 2024. This 2020 decade will be another "lost" decade.
I kinda of agree, but........this was a 100 year event that NO ONE EVER could have imagined, that has messed up the whole world economically, not just our industry, and not just the US.

Sure, I could have predicted a regular recession with demand dropping off as what happened in the early 80's and 90's, but we are talking about a catastrophic world event that has literally affected every single person on the planet in some way, shape or form.

In a nutshell, a 10 year event absolutely could have been imagined, a 100 year event like COVID, absolutely not.