View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 12:39 PM
paulcg77
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: A shack in Kailua

Originally Posted by tnkrdrvr View Post
The A330 based tanker has some significant issues as well. It’s wingspan would significantly reduce the number of tails that could be parked in a given amount of ramp. The ice shield on the boom is also so fat that it has not been cleared for USAF F15 variants last I checked (It has been a couple years). Finally, while the number of pallets it can carry is impressive for a strat airlifter, it translates into a higher fuel burn that eats away “instantaneous” far more rapidly than a four engine 135. The real problem is the USAF wrote a bad RFP to begin with. Boeing’s malfeasance is merely a rewarded symptom of a broken system.
That's all totally fair and a great analysis. I do agree that the A300 MRTT isn't perfect either and has plenty of its own issues. With that said, I've got a mutual acquaintance flying the MRTT in the RAAF who raves about it. If we're stuck with existing designs for the next few decades, no reason why we can't continue to have a diverse tanker fleet, including the bus. If anyone wants some tanker smut, you can google some great recent pics of RAAF MRTT's refueling USN P8's. Pretty cool.