View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 01:47 PM
paulcg77
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: A shack in Kailua

Originally Posted by DustoffVT View Post
We just got an email yesterday that all DHS employees now have access to Coast Guard Exchange, tax free. The shopping I’m fine with, but I do think the tax free benefit should be reserved to vets. Theoretically, someone with a dishonorable discharge could now be shopping tax free if they work at DHS.
Yeah, agreed about the tax benefits. I understand why they did it. I'm an ex-Coastie myself and I remember the CGX exchanges being completely empty the majority of the time I went to one because Coast Guard exchanges tend to be in random cities/towns without much of a military presence besides the CG, like North Bend, Oregon and Portland, Maine. I always wondered how the CGX's stayed in business. Not sure there are a lot of DHS civilian employees in these places but anything helps I guess.

I figure any day now DOD/DHS civilians will be eligible for Tricare Prime (or some new version, like "Tricare Civilian Select") and VA benefits are not long after that for civilians injured in the workplace.