View Single Post
Old 11-03-2020, 06:32 PM
Duffman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by FNGFO View Post
Thats all fantastic until you realize there’s a point where the idea guys isn’t going to assume the risks because his ROI isn’t worth the hassle. You essentially halved his potential profit so that his unskilled workers could take more money home. Well, they get to take nothing home when he decides not to pursue his idea and doesn’t hire them. It’s not a magical zero sum game.

As for the little guy can’t get ahead on $50k if he has student loans, car and house payments and so on and so forth....you’re right. You don’t get to have it all at once on that kind of income. But plenty of Americans will try it anyway. Financial literacy is a real thing as is delaying wants over needs. Getting ahead doesn’t occur by happenstance.
If making 1600 times the average income isn't motivation, then I don't know what is.

The problem is you used to be able to distinguish yourself based on merit by completing a higher level of education. Now colleges are largely jokes (I used to take non-engineering classes just to boost my GPA because a few hours of effort a few days a semester yielded a 3-credit A) but it costs $50k in tuition alone to get a degree from a public university, most of which are funneling as many people as possible into easy, useless degrees. It's easy to laugh at them, especially when I'm sitting on a useful degree, but when THAT many people are in THAT much debt, then cue COVID... we're playing with fire, not to mention, for a big chunk of those people, the American dream is unachievable until their 40s. I just think we can do better.