View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 03:44 PM
Av8tr1
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: And hold

Originally Posted by flyviper View Post
For those with service related disabilities

I'm planning on applying for VA disability for some service related issue. If approved, does it have any impact for my class 1 medical or my job? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
A lot will depend on what you get a VA disability rating for. I have a 90% rating. Two items were an issue for my FAA medical. One took years after I left the Army to approval. The other thankfully is a simple checkbox by my AME every year.

There are things that are immediately disqualifying and other things that you'll need to provide more info on which can take thousands of dollars and requires you to go to a FAA specific doctor for review. And let me tell you they aint cheap.

If you have PTSD that can nix your flying career. If you have trouble sleeping that can nix your flying career. Nearly any mental health issue is at least going to get a second look. Tread VERY carefully if you see the VA for a mental health issue. They hand out PTSD diagnoses like candy which speaking of candy they will give you all sorts of fun candy which will immediately end your flying career whether you need it or not (the candy not the flying).

I would recommend giving ole Doc Limoge in Colorado Springs a call and have a chat with him. He is a retired AF General was a AF flight surgeon and likes helping keep us Vets flying. He can also help with difficult cases. Hes is a great dude.

Jerome P Limoge MD
1360 AVIATION WAY
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80916
Voice: (719) 659-0988

Thank you for your service!