View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 08:57 AM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by 187Breezy View Post
A year ago I probably could have multiple regional job offers, but today... Life is just like that, you need to make the most of it and be ready for the next opportunity.
A year ago you were competitive. Today, through no fault of your own, you are not. And you are not because several regionals have closed - so there are already many guys who will be deemed far more qualified than you out on the street, and both flying and airline fleets have been cut back, leading to some furloughs and massive underutilization of existing pilots.

sadly, nothing you can do will make you competitive until all that slack is taken out of the system, that’s just fact. But those same circumstances have resulted in a whole bunch of people who would have been your competitors dropping out of the system altogether. When that happens you will again be competitive. Would turbine time - even as SIC make you more competitive? Yeah, probably, and probably even SIC turbine time. Would it make you enough more competitive to justify the financial hit? Especially if you are getting ME time as a CFI if you don’t take the job? That would have to be your call.

Personally, I think I’d recommend continuing in your present job for at least another year, until things start to rebound more, doing as much part time CFI work as you can. The 135 job will likely still be there 18 months from now, or another just like it. That would give you another 12-18 months of your current income while still burnishing your resume’.