View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 02:06 PM
LongRoadAhead
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by 187Breezy View Post
Thanks Rick for starting this thread for me. My newbie account won't let me start a thread.

In any event, I'd like to pose a question about regional airline hiring, and I'm especially interested in hearing from those who have been involved in hiring decisions. I'm trying to best position myself to be competitive when they do start hiring again, even if that means a year or two from now.

The short question is this- in the environment that will exist when hiring begins again, and all else being equal, which applicant stands a better chance- one with an ATP in hand and maybe 100 hours multi, or one with just a commercial but with some (say 500 hours) part 135 turbine FO experience?

The longer story- I'm a late 40s career change type. I was a CFI with airline dreams in college, got out in the early 90s when the market was terrible and my flight school went under but stayed active in GA. About 1800 hours total, all ATP minimums, working part time again as a CFI to stay current (including some multi time.) Stable work history since the 90s (big city law enforcement if that makes a difference,) 4 year degree, no DUIs or other red flags.

I'm facing a choice right now- continue working and instructing part time until things start moving again, or quitting my job for an opportunity as a part 135 FO. The rub is this- the 135 job would be low QOL (on the road weeks at a time) and would probably preclude being able to complete the CTP/ATP course, which is why this is an either/ or dilemma. I'm willing to suck it up for a year or two if that's what it takes, but if it wouldn't improve my chances, then I will just maintain present course.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Similar goals, much less flight time. I currently have 18.5 years law enforcement experience sitting at about 220hrs. TT about to start commercial training. After that MULTI COMM./CFI/CFII and then hopefully instruct part time god willing this pandemic settles down sooner rather than later. My question is are you able to retire with a full pension/medical benefits or would you have to accept a reduced benefit, that would probably the biggest factor for me as to whether or not to leave the job now or stay on a little longer. Good luck!