View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 06:55 AM
VegasChris
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Originally Posted by tnkrtoad View Post
The only requirement I see changing is needing an unrestricted ATP. Can't see any airline paying for an ATP until they need to.

Prior part 121, 135 or fixed wing mil time will be preferred. You'll need to consult your crystal ball to see how long before the fully qualified pool of talent will be exhausted.
I started this career change with a cost benefit analysis using the R-ATP. That means I only needed 25 hours of multi (another 25 come from the sim in training).

So for a ATP I would need a full 50 hours of multi. About 4 to 5k for the CTP class. Another 1-2k for a checkride and rental costs for thr checkride. Also an additional 500 hours of TT.

All for a regional FO spot with no signing bonus, little seniority movement to get a good schedule and good base, along with no upgrade timeline that can be planned for.

I think I am going to be driving a fire engine for quite a few more years.

This situation puts me at a crossroads- do I get pay to get my MEI and hope to get enough students to get me to 50 hours of multi? (Not likely witnh current training demand from MEIs I know) Or find a piston twin job (not likely) or 135 job with horrible QOL while I have young kids? Maybe buy my own twin and teach in it.....lots of ways to go about it....and none of them really entice me right now.

I think the better option is to stay in the current career and hope hiring returns to 2019 levels where CFIs are getting scooped up before they even hit minimums sooner rather than later. I might not be on the front end of the wave, but I guess it comes down to how (more) much I want to invest.