Old 02-07-2008, 02:07 PM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by Lab Rat View Post
Honestly, I don't believe that he is trying to stir up trouble. With all of the growth in the international arena and with the rumor of only hiring 50 people this year, the competition is going to be stiff. It would only make sense that the most competitive candidates would and should come from an international heavy-jet background.

I have perused the regional board, and no offense to commuter pilots, but based on the vast majority of the posts that I read there is a serious lack of maturity among many of the pilots. The impression they give is that they are nothing but high-school punks who think that they are just "way to cool" because they are flying the RJ.
I think FBC likes the anonymous pot stir, jabs and runs. May have kernel of a point, but that doesn't validate an idea. I have met (and trained) many mature regional pilots who are now very successfully flying intl at UPS. If they come from an Intl carrier prior to UPS/Fedex, many were regional background anyway. Means they were trainable and teachable with good, mature personalities, etc. Have confidence in Fedex and UPS HR depts. to be able to determine same capablity. UPS was in unique situation in 2007. Satrted a domicile in ANC. Had all that flying been out of the SDF domicile, All the new hires would be domestic. UPS would have hired a bunch more regional folks. So the idea is a bit more oriented to teachability rather than one specific type of background.