View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 09:43 PM
firefighterplt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2020

Originally Posted by Knobcrk1 View Post
I’d imagine if you wanted to be a mechanic you’d probably get into something non aviation. I’d imagine they make a killing ripping off people since most have no clue about maintenance.
When I was in college, I worked as a
motorcycle dealer technician for beer money. It was a good gig, but the owner was a crook, and he doubled as the service manager. He made an absolute killing for a long time, but eventually word got around that he was a scammer. People would bring bikes in for valve adjustments...as long as the bike came in sounding okay, it would never make it onto a lift. Cha Ching. Carb rebuild? Quick jet blast-out, no rubber replaced. He sold these tune-up packages that were many hundreds of dollars that often consisted of nothing more than an oil change (with crap bulk oil), chain adjustment, clutch cable adjustment, and a greasing of the pivot points on the bike. He made it sound like WAY more, of course.

He made a ton of money, I will say...until Internet reviews became a thing. Dude was skinned alive on the internet, and now he’s struggling to keep the place afloat. Reputation,
both personal and professional, was trashed.

And then I found $20 and two chicks made out.