View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 12:45 PM
Old Guys Drule
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Default dejavu

Having been around for 34 years now, I can tell you that Delta has screwed the pooch on a number of occasions when it has come to HR. They used to have an AME on retainer in Houston who they sent problem pilots to see after they had returned to work with an up chit. The Dr. down there would find reasons to deny their medical and the pilots would end up in limbo before usually losing their jobs. Google Capt. WOW (Wayne O. Witter), an ATL based L1011 driver who went through that very process and ended up on the front page of the Wall Street Journal. Delta lost their case against him.

Or how about the Pan Am flight attendants who in their interviews to be hired into Delta during the merger with the part of Pan AM that was purchased were asked highly personal questions about their sex lives. As in: have you ever had an abortion? Delta was promptly sued in a NY state court and if I remember correctly paid out over 6 million in damages. At the time our CEO was one Ron Allen, as far as I know, the only airline CEO ever to come out of the Personnel ranks.

I would guess the departure of Dickson and Grahm from senior pilot leadership positions has something to do with this lawsuit.

Don't forget that ALPA labored for over a decade to get an ASAP program on the property. It came crashing down after several years when a 4th floor denizen decided to use restricted ASAP data to go after a former LEC Capt. rep. The MEC chair informed the SVP Flight Ops that ASAP was done. It only came back years later to help expedite the merger between Delta nd Northwest.

Our safety culture is not as deep as many would suspect and our HR processes obviously need some work.

Fly Safe.