View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 08:28 AM
TOGALOCK
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Originally Posted by hkdguy View Post
The plan is to eventually get both MES and Glider ratings. Already have SES.

Anyone trained for their MES?

Where’d you go? How was it?
Originally Posted by crbnftprnt View Post
15 years ago I did the MES on my ATP with Chester Lawson in his Widgeon. He has since sold the plane to another school in Alabama. The rate then was $420/hour dual, looks like the new school's rate is $1000. I flew 7.2 hours in 2 days (including, unfortunately, about 1.5 hours deadheading to and from the examiner.) A nice-handling plane and a fun experience. I did it with no expectation of ever using it; I just had a long-standing interest in the big flying boats (Spruce Goose, Boeing 314, Martin Mars, etc.) I had previously owned a Lake amphib for 4 years. You might find a cheaper rate at a school using the Twin Bee, but I wanted to fly a Grumman.
That plane is now owned by Charles Weldon/WaterWings Seaplanes. Charles is a great guy and instructor, a blast to fly with and the plane was a beautiful piece of history and a lot of fun to fly. As long as you have your MEL and SES rating (and proficient in both) adding the MES is a non-event. The plane was $750/hr, if I recall correctly. It sounds like a lot, but the training is quick so you’ll have very few hours on the hobbs for a commercial add on (I didn’t feel like dropping 40k for the 50 hours in the plane to add it to my ATP, haha).

I definitely recommend going for the MES if it’s something you really want. Gliders for training will always be a dime a dozen. Multi-engine seaplanes, on the other hand, are becoming more and more scarce. Get it while you can!

https://www.waterwings.com/