Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 07:38 AM
velosnow
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2010

Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
It's all impossible to say. No one has a crystal ball, and no one can give you the answer you want. You just have to decide if you want to live your life wondering if you should have done it or not. If you do it, buckle up, it can be a long, challenging road.
I'm 40, have worked at six airlines, been through two furloughs (anticipating a third), one downgrade, one bankruptcy, and one company that doesn't exist anymore. Still nothing else I'd really rather do though.
Spot on here, though my road hasn't been as bumpy (hope you don't get furloughed PC) the ups and down will come no matter what you do. It's an unforgiving career at times, but has rewarded me with more than I could have expected, especially from the other career paths I might have realistically gone down.

I think part of your answer lies within if you are ok with an alternative work lifestyle? Weekdays off, missing holidays, being away from home, body clock always off, etc. Sure, there are some flying gigs that are almost 9-5'ish and you can attain that with more seniority down the road but you've got to embrace the lifestyle so as not to be miserable. I've flown with guys/gals who would constantly complain about these things and I'll ask, "you know you're an airline pilot right?" With COVID, some of these things could be amplified for a few years and the recovery choppy.

Though I do believe the industry will bounce back and in earnest so as long as you are ready for the challenges it brings and embrace all of it (the good and bad) I'd start training ASAP to be ready for the next wave.

Last edited by velosnow; 01-12-2021 at 08:05 AM.