View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 04:11 AM
VisionWings
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2019
Default Instructors failing Students

In aviation we know that the failure sticks with us for life. We are seeing the FAA going over the failures of the instructors in producing quality education. The low pass rates are an issue all across the country and even at some 141 locations. I’ve personally felt the sting of lack luster pushy instructors telling me I’m “ready” when I go over the material of sporty’s or King School and catch something I’m iffy on they push you along and say “you’re fine, I don’t even know that”. There has to be changes to this sticks with you for life model. Having a failure doesn’t mean you’re a bad pilot. You learn and improve but if you’re say stuck in a 141 college FTA and they fail you- that sticks with you forever. I’m not writing this to complain, I understand many will be critical and blanket say “you’re just bad” because arrogance is prevalent in this industry. We’re expected to use technology for safety except for during check-rides. We’re expected to study and teach ourselves the key facts using the respirated we have. The biggest pusher is the “trust your instructor” every DPE says and every airline pilot says it. No one considers that Joe CFI is a self focused tool only looking to get his ours and how he doesn’t have any failures so he’s headed to the big leagues. There has to be an attitude change from every level regarding failures in the industry. The PAVE checklist is stressed and pushed but ignored when you offer criticisms to local leaders for the aircraft the I took to my PPL checkride ball fluid was not full and prone to errors while attempting to fly coordinated making a failure in the steep turns that no one could fly in the aircraft when I asked them too. The uncoordinated flight effected many maneuvers. Did the flight with a different aircraft and passed with flying colors. This is a failure of the flight school. The ball is not required for day VFR but the instructors will say you’re being ridiculous.

There has to be a change in the industry with regards to how we treat failures. If a pilot has a failure cycle in his training in this incredibly easy industry. Look where the true failure lies with the instructors. A pilot should never fail a checkride if the instructor is competent and considerate. Sending a pilot and signing them off should be done only have reflect and the failure should go on the instructors record not the students record. This is an industry of leaders we have to lead the flight deck for hundreds of people. The current CFIs have no hesitation in sending people to a checkride even without the proper endorsements and proper knowledge. It doesn’t effect them, they’ll likely have to take the CFI refresher and just move on. Simple and easy no consequences for the safety that comes with this negligence. Those students will one day be flying bigger aircraft and every one of them needs to have the proper knowledge and techniques built into them from day one. We can’t expect them to make progress in their flight skill while only touching the yoke for 1 out of every 5 hours as a CFI to improve on their failure. But not only that but consider how that failure produces another failure technique will be passed down complacency is destroying respect for the flight instructors.

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/...ew-review.html