Old 05-04-2006, 07:51 PM
MoHoney

Default are some degrees better for military pilots/Navy bachelor degree completion program

Thanks to everyone for the advice...After talking further to my son, he definitely wants a long term career as a military pilot and sees attending ERAU for an aeronautic science degree has a means to achieve this goal. He plans to apply for an ROTC scholarship. He still seems convinced that doing this degree program will help give him greater consideration for a pilot slot in the Navy or Air Force than if he stays at his state school and applies for ROTC. He says that at ERAU he can obtain the aeronautic science degree with a military emphasis and this is what he believes will give him better standing against other pilot candidates. From what I've read, it seems like the Navy or Air Force prefer prospective pilots to have engineering or technical degrees. Apart from the physical and health considerations, how does the Navy or Air Force decide on who can become a pilot? Do certain college degrees have more weight? Also does anyone have info on a Navy Bachelor Degree Completion Program with a guaranteed pilot contract. According to info from ERAU this is open to their students. If selected, the Navy pays $1,900/mo. for the last 3 yrs of school if pursuing a technical degree or 2 yrs. for non-technical degree. ERAU says the program will pay up to $68,000 and it is not ROTC. You just have to keep a 3.0 GPA. Then when you graduate you go to aviation officer training school in Pensacola. Is this a new program or is this a program specific to ERAU students? Or is this what some of you have been talking about? I'm not real familiar with some of the abbreviations like AMS sorry...but thanks again for your help....

Last edited by MoHoney; 05-04-2006 at 08:35 PM.