View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 06:52 PM
tm602
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014
Position: Just a pilot

I get what the OP is saying. I won't argue that this may be the "weakest" generation (age irrespective) of CFIs we have yet seen. But I would like to introduce 3 variables into the problem to show how you can't shoulder all the blame on the CFIs:
1) Longtime CFIs are rare now, due in part to the "ticket factories" that have pooped up all over. When I was an instructor, it was not uncommon to see CFIs with 2000-3000 dual given, at a REAL flight school. As in Part 61. The 141 schools with their airline costumes and scripted training leaves the CFI no room to develop as an airman, much less a teacher.
2) Students do not want to put in the effort anymore. The digital age of flight training has made training just a matter of watching TV, YouTube and using apps. Gone are the days of a pilot in training actually reading and studying, much less on their own time. They want spoon feeding and the bare minimums taught now.
3) MONEY. The cost of training has become inexcusably prohibitive. As a result, pilots in training are looking for the fastest and cheapest way to get it done.....which results in half-motivated effort for the fast track and not learning properly, because that takes time.