Old 02-07-2021, 09:16 AM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by 2StgTurbine View Post
I don't know the exact airspace you were in or around, but assuming airspace isn't an issue, you didn't need a clearance to fly the approach. An ILS is nothing more than a long straight-in approach. If the approach controller was too busy to give you an approach clearance, I would have just switched over to Tower and told them I'm 5 miles out for landing.

As a VFR aircraft in class G (generally, the FAF is outside of Class D), no one cares what you do. The only thing you really need in that situation is the clearance to enter the Class D airspace. Executing the missed is probably the wrong thing to do since it would still cause you to fly into the Class D airspace.

Now, if this happened on an IFR flight plan, and you weren't given an approach clearance, you would either have to enter a hold at the FAF (if that was your clearance limit) or continue tracking the localizer at your last assigned altitude (if your last clearance was to intercept the localizer). I wouldn't even execute the missed since that will cause you to leave your assigned altitude. Simply follow the localizer and tell the controller they forgot to clear you when there is a break in communication.
This makes no sense. If you’re IFR you don’t fly the localizer off into infinity. Assigned, vectored, expected or filed. Eventually you get to the point where you have to fly the missed approach procedure. Your last assigned altitude might’ve been the min vectoring altitude in a completely different area. The missed approach accounts for terrain and obstacles. So why wouldn’t you fly the ground track of your last clearance with the appropriate attitudes?