View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 08:28 PM
EM2000
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2021

Originally Posted by Broccoli Rob View Post
I had an instructor that went to L3 as part of a university program. He wasn't crazy about it. I know a few guys who went to ATP, and they say the same thing just about everyone else says about it: it's not for everyone. You'll either love it or hate it. Some people excel and some get kicked out for too many training failures. If you're in New York area you can also look into Academy of Aviation. They have two locations there. They're also a little cheaper than ATP and advertise the same sort of accelerated program (but do your research and be aware that weather will play an issue in the winter time anywhere outside of Florida or Arizona and will affect how truly "accelerated" any program is). AoA has other locations in the South, but I don't have any first hand knowledge outside of the New York locations.

Honestly, if financing isn't an issue and you're paying out of pocket, I'm going to echo what a lot of people on here have said and suggest you do it Part 61 through a mom and pop shop. It'll be cheaper than any of the big name schools, and probably just as fast assuming you can go at it full time. I got my ppl part 61 and blazed through 50 hours in one month. In contrast, my instrument rating at a part 141 school took forever. IMO, it's more about your dedication and cooperation of the weather than it is about the specific school's offerings. The only real benefit the big part 141 schools really offer is access to a loan. If you don't need that, you're better off finding a good instructor and staying close to home rather than moving across the country just for a big name school (unless you live in a place with really terrible weather, in which case moving to a southern region might actually enable you to fly more often and get finished more quickly). On the flip side, one of the major downsides to some locations in Florida is that fact that you won't get as much actual instrument time because of how sunny it is all the time, and the overcast days they do get are usually associated with thunderstorms. Pros and cons to everything. Just have to weigh your options and see what fits your situation best.
Thanks for the reply. I'm in NY as well, and like you said, weather and traffic will definitely play a large part in your progress. Yes, I understand what you're saying in terms of Mom and Pop schools. Another part of this would enable me to leave NY, something I've always wanted to do for quite a while now. With that, I would be funding training from my sale, so staying in NY would not be an option, even if I wanted to.