Thread: Class drops..
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2021, 09:08 PM
IQuitEagle
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: B757F CA

Originally Posted by wrxpilot View Post
It is shrinking, but honestly nobody at the pilot level has any clue what’s going to happen. It’s not easy to get us out to Asia, and it’s going to cost a fortune to buy us DHs out here. Not to mention it’s a major PIA to deal with any Asia IROPS from crews in OAK.

More importantly, FDX has come this far with HKG... If they decided to close it next week, it would take a really long time to wind down. By the time they did, COVID would be long gone and everything will more or less be normal. Kind of a stupid time to limit our ops in Asia.

The upcoming situation with temporary SFO relocation will be a good test of what works I guess!
I agree no one at our level knows what will happen. But I disagree that it is a much bigger PIA to position us/deal with issues if we are based on the west coast. Having to position us through SIN or NRT/KIX as it is, it takes the same amount of time to get us in position as it would from SFO/OAK. Airfare is slightly more to NRT from SFO vs. HKG, but not a game changer. If they wanted to close the base, I think they could do that fairly quickly if they wanted to.