Thread: Class drops..
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2021, 09:30 PM
wrxpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767

Originally Posted by IQuitEagle View Post
I agree no one at our level knows what will happen. But I disagree that it is a much bigger PIA to position us/deal with issues if we are based on the west coast. Having to position us through SIN or NRT/KIX as it is, it takes the same amount of time to get us in position as it would from SFO/OAK. Airfare is slightly more to NRT from SFO vs. HKG, but not a game changer. If they wanted to close the base, I think they could do that fairly quickly if they wanted to.
You're thinking short term, as if what we dealt with in 2020 is how it always used to be. It used to be that it was a car ride of a few hours from CAN-HKG, or a quick flight in the AM or PM on KA (or a quick train ride if you deviated). Even now, as much of a PIA as it is to start a trip, it’s WAY quicker to fly HKG crews into SIN/TPE/KIX/NRT then a 12 hour flight from SFO.

Also, they can’t just close the base next week and say “Ok, you guys are all OAK based as of next month!”. There has to be a bid, new training, etc. Again, by the time that was even done I think many of the travel restrictions won’t even exist. It would just make the whole thing expensive and pointless.