Old 02-20-2021, 05:39 PM
Firefighterpilo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Originally Posted by 123494 View Post
Thank you. I think I should talk to some guys in the field to get a better feeling about the job. I couldn’t see myself being a firefighter lol. Thanks for all the hard work you do
You are welcome. To be honest I never wanted to be a firefighter and wasn’t even on my radar at the time. I happen to be dead heading and set next to a San Francisco firefighter. We started chatting and he had me captivated with all his “war” stories and how much he truly loved his job. After that flight I started looking more into it and less then six months later I made the switch. Prior to that conversation I was looking at only white collar careers that I could use my degree.

It’s not for everyone but I truly love what I do and the excitement. At the end of the day when I go home I know I made a positive impact on society which fulfills me.

The down side is it’s a young mans game. I work for a busy urban dept and it can break you off. I can’t imagine being over 50 and still going on roofs or dragging hose into a fire. At a certain age you either have to promote up or get out.