View Single Post
Old 02-27-2021, 04:52 PM
TOGALOCK
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2018

You can put another check in the "Good Choice" column. This is very much a bird in hand is worth two in the bush situation. You may not realize it now, but you are extremely lucky to land the Cape Air job in this hiring environment. The experience and flight time you will gain there will be far more valuable than time as an instructor. Not only on paper, but also in your flying skills and personal development in preparation for a 121 airline.

Having said that though, I feel I should reel in your expectations just a bit, and I only do this because you've mentioned staying at Cape Air longer than needed in hopes of bypassing the regionals and going straight to Frontier or Spirit. Do not spend a day longer at Cape Air than you need to or are obligated to. The chances of going straight from there to a ULCC are between slim and impossible. I know for a fact that F9, and I believe NK, has a *minimum* requirement of 500 hours turbine time. This is a minimum and most people who came over pre-covid had at least 1500 hours or more of turbine time. However, it wasn't necessarily turbine PIC or even 121 time. F9 hires a fair amount from the corporate pilot ranks.

With hiring at the legacies likely stalled for many years, pay scales at the ULCCs rivaling that of the legacies for similar equipment and the rapid growth/seniority gains occurring at the ULCC level, I would suspect that hiring qualifications at F9 and NK will become very competitive for at least the next 5 years or so. I certainly don't say this to discourage you, but to rather light a fire under you to keep moving in your career. Certainly put your stuff in at F9 and NK to show your interest, but don't hang your hate on an unlikely expectation. Get into turbine equipment as soon as you're able.

As another poster said... For now, just concentrate on being the best pilot you can be and don't worry about mapping out your next moves. You are currently in the infancy of your career as a professional pilot and still learning to walk. Don't worry about planning the marathons you will run in the future. As quickly as this industry moves and changes, any bridges that you plan to cross far into the future may not even be there by the time you try to cross them. Take this career one day at a time. You will be much happier for it.