Thread: Application ?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 04:05 AM
Birdsmash
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017
Position: 777 Left window seat

Originally Posted by abides View Post
They will look for things that stand out. A pilot that logs more than 8 hours SIC on a single segment might be one of those things. Especially if it’s done repeatedly. If so, you had better be right, and even if you’re right, you better not be a know it all. This whole exchange makes me cringe.

My advice, be conservative, be humble.
I get so confused by the 8 hours in the seat limitation for augmented crews. Which CFR 121 are you referencing? The previous generation of wide bodies that required a Flight Engineer were operated by a basic crew of 2 pilots and an additional airman (FE) for up to 12 hours. Now you are telling us that if you put a 4th crewmember onboard that everyone is limited to only 8 hours? For example, the 777F has an endurance of 20+ hours with full tanks. 777Fs are rarely flown at such long stage lengths because the max payload would be reduced to a little over half. However, are you saying that an airline couldn’t fly it non-stop for more than 16 hours with a crew of 4 if they chose (not including CBA limits only CFRs)?