View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 04:37 PM
Valiant
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2018

Originally Posted by Gordie H View Post
1) I’d say there’s some indication of bookings picking up / signs of life, if you will. Imo it’ll really depends on how the virus vs vaccine situation plays out…hard to know for sure what the recovery will look like.

2) Many air force bases have “Aero Clubs”…it’s basically an FBO on the base where you can rent planes and take lessons for a bit of a discount. Just to be clear though this is a civilian run operation and even if you’re active duty you still have to pay to rent the planes, get the instruction, etc. So even if you’re assigned to a base that doesn’t have an Aero Club you can still go downtown (or where ever) and get lessons on your own..basically the same thing (arguably better...less paperwork, less hoops).

3) I’m not exactly sure how it works for the medical folks. For all other officers (Finance officers, Navigators, etc.) there are active duty UPT boards…so these officers can put in a package (commander’s recommendation, AFOQT scores, etc.) and, if chosen, head off to UPT (incurs a 10 year commitment last I knew). The boards were held every six months or so back in my day but it all depended on how many pilots were needed…I recall for awhile there were none (not sure what the current situation is). I'm sure theres some process for medical folks and - maybe it's the same? just not sure about that one.
I'm assuming these aero clubs may be few and far between, right? I think AF academy has one, no??

How does the guard/reserve route work for 3). Same 10 year commitment??

If things pick up then I think training on my own>regional>major may be a faster route. If things stay same or get worse then UPT is a safer bet.

Through no fault of my own if this aviation bug inside stays just a dream. At least I'll have a good stable career. To jump back into.

Also, I heard LCCs and ULCCs will lead the charge in recovery.