Thread: Risky
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 04:02 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Never say never. However...

This situation sounds risky for certification, will likely require a Special Issuance, and may well be risky for further issues down the road. Obviously the underlying condition matters too (cancer, benign tumor, congenital defect, injury, etc), hard to even guess without knowing that.

I'd suggest that you need some competent aeromedical advice to determine both your odds of getting a medical, and your odds of keeping one. You may be able to find an AME who is experienced in or specializes in neurological issues, or you could also pay an aviation medicine consulting firm (typically ex-AMEs who no longer have an obligation to the FAA). Definitely want professional advice to even know where you stand.

All that said, it doesn't sound like there are going to be any guarantees, so if you pursue professional aviation I'd keep a backup career on a slow boil on the back burner and resign yourself to the fact that you'll probably need it eventually. If you make it to 65, that's a bonus. Understandably that may be too much to cope with... unfortunately your situation does not appear to bode particularly well for career prospects.

Like I said, you need the medical advice before you can really assess the career aspect.

Good Luck