Old 03-07-2021, 05:15 AM
MinRest
Mmmm wine

Joined APC: Feb 2020
Position: A220 FO

Originally Posted by GeeWizDriver View Post
Ever since the Aerion project was first conceived in Reno by Dr. Tracy more than 20 years ago, the idea was always to build an aircraft that could be efficient in the transonic range over land and then transition to supersonic over water where the boom regulations didn't apply. The max cruise number was pegged at around 1.4 to MAYBE 1.5 because any higher than that would require exotic materials (think $$$$$) because of friction heating of the skin. The early plan was also to use off-the-shelf engine and system technology as much as possible to keep costs down. The problematic part of that has always been the engine and slowing down intake air sufficiently during mach cruise and yet maintain enough efficiency to fly 4500-5000 miles.

The project has obviously morphed quite a bit, especially since a billionaire aviation enthusiast embraced the oldest joke in flying: How do you make a small fortune in aviation? Start with a large one..." Nevertheless, they have stuck with the idea of not needing a regulatory change to bring the airplane to market, an approach I have always thought was smarter than the other supersonic business jet projects floating around out there that believe they can convince the government to approve their "boomless" technology in the face of disapproving environmental activists.

Ultimately, the project stands a much better chance of getting to market with Netjets on board. I figure they're about even money right now.

I hope it comes to fruition. As a plane geek, this has always been a cool concept. I really don’t see a domestic market for it though if the idea is to fly it subsonic. The acquisition cost is going to be much higher I would assume, than a similar class cabin. Hell, modern Gulfstreams fly above .95. Now if the AS2 can really sustain 1.4 that will be impressive. If it can only do 1.1, 1.2 I’m not sure it will be as mind blowing to consumers as they think it will, after the novelty wears off.