Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 AM
bifff15
Banned

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
Biff,

There might be some examples where we could agree upon a definition of greed. I would agree with you that the B-scale, where a group of pilots lowered the pay scale of those hired after them so that they could raise their own pay would be one. However, one could also argue that the desire of some young'uns to force out their more experienced <g> union brothers would be another good example. After all, those young'uns will be able to stick around longer also.

Setting that aside, however, there are many good reasons for hanging around past 60, but regardless of the reason, the FE position is not a bad job. I characterize it as Sergeant's work at Colonel's pay.

But it is "just" a job.

That was not the case with the front seat, whether left or right. Even in the middle of the night, once up and awake, the job was enjoyable. The fact that the Captain's pay is twice that of the back is just a bonus.
Roberto,
The funny thing is I'll bet we could never "agree" on a definition of greed where it applied to you. You do agree of greed where B scale was put into play which is sort of funny. Let me do a little word editing of your words and see how this grabs you. "I would agree with you that the age 65 change, where a group of pilots raised the retirement age of those hired after them so that they could get five more years at the top would be another". Things that make you go hmmh...
The "young'uns" that you speak off all got hired with the same expectations you did Rob, that they would leave the front seat at age 60. I would bet most of them didn't get hired here after a nice 20 years of active duty with a juicy retirement check and health care.
I will agree that age 60 was discrimination however up until recently all wanted it left that way so we could have some life after work before death. Greed has now changed that for all. And the new number 65 is still age discrimination just moved further to the right. It's okay, just chant along with you, "I got mine, I got mine".
I have sat sideways at another company and know what kind of job it is. The fact that you get to go back to the front seat regardless of that fact that you are keeping someone else from getting what you got is that the pay is twice that of the back. Your ending statement is another example of greed senior Roberto.
Go thank the company that they kept you around after turning 60 even though the seat is way, way overmanned. Do you think they are actually going to put new hires or over displacements back there? They will get furloughed due to manning.
If no one else is glad for you because you got back to the front seat at their expense don't be surprised. Just go lock yourself in your hotel room and keep checking in on your bank account.
Biff