View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 10:58 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by Cargocapt View Post
Nearing retirement I would like to keep flying and I am renewing my flight instructor certificate to teach the next generation. I only need to renew one which renews all of them. Since I will be instructing in small Cessna type aircraft I chose to perform in a single engine Cessna.
Since you plan to be an instructor (again), it's worth noting: you don't have multiple flight instructor certificates. Just one. You have ratings on the certificate, and you will be taking a practical test for one rating. You are not renewing the flight instructor certificate. You are reinstating it.

You may also do so by adding a new category or class rating to your instructor certificate.

During the now unusually one way heated conversation, where I had to question him why he was so hostile, we went from one more flight to now four or five and the specifics are I need to know the PTS. And he is so angry he is going to charge me for the time he wasted with this conversation. Which he proply does as we are still sitting there.
The first question that springs to mind is what you're doing wasting your time with this individual. You address that in the next paragraph, noting that there are no other instructors available.

This individual may see you as competition. If you're going to be teaching at the same facility, the two of you may compete for students. At a minimum you'll be working alongside each other.

The instructor may be naturally prejudiced against airline pilots. Many in general aviation are. With good reason. As a general aviation pilot I got nauseatingly sick to my stomach listening to arrogant airline pilots tell me, "it's a shame. you'll never receive the level of training that I've had." The only thing more annoying was the odd military pilot who said the same thing. Ad nauseum.

The instructor may also be a snot nosed millennial who doesn't know what he doesn't know, but is none the less quite convinced that he does.

I'd dump him.

Though this conversation I was very calm yet mistified why this young man was suddenly so hostile towards me. This was a fairly bizarre experience. I understand flying a single engine cessna is very different from flying an heavy freighter. Given my background and experience I would like to believe I should not need this much instruction to prepare for a renewal of a flight instructor certificate. I would be interested opinions or suggestions here. Asking for yet another instructor is going to be problematic and I don't believe the school has another instructor at this level.

I'd like to see if there are other options from the obvious fire him as an instructor. I am hopeful there is some way to salvage this.
Flight instruction, as you know, has little to do with flying. It has everything to do with teaching. I'm at a loss why the emphasis on flight training and maneuvers; this is more formality. What is important is teaching, which has changed a lot in the last two decades; both the scope and nature of what's taught, and some of the fundamental ways it's done, as well as the practical standards. (PTS migrating to ACS, for example). You already know how to fly; returning to light airplanes shouldn't be a massive undertaking. Both you, and the instructor seem focused on checking boxes in the flight regime. This raises a red flag.

You indicated that this is the only instructor who meets the requirements to give you the instruction necessary for your flight instructor certificate. Why is this so?

You are not seeking an initial flight instructor certificate. A CFI giving instruction toward the initial CFI certificate, and endorsing you for the test, must have given 200 hours of flight instruction and must have held a CFI for at least 24 months. In your case, you're not seeking an initial instructor rating. You're seeking a reinstatement.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id..._1195&rgn=div8

Because you are not elligible for renewal of a flight instructor certificate, your option is reinstatement. You'll need a practical test. You will need to do this by following the guidance of 14 CFR 61.199(a):

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id..._1199&rgn=div8

§61.199 Reinstatement requirements of an expired flight instructor certificate.

(a) Flight instructor certificates. The holder of an expired flight instructor certificate who has not complied with the flight instructor renewal requirements of §61.197 may reinstate that flight instructor certificate and ratings by filing a completed and signed application with the FAA and satisfactorily completing one of the following reinstatement requirements:

(1) A flight instructor certification practical test, as prescribed by §61.183(h), for one of the ratings held on the expired flight instructor certificate.

(2) A flight instructor certification practical test for an additional rating.
You'll need to file a completed and signed application, and complete a practical test for one of your ratings, or a new rating.

Where does this instructor fit into this, and why is he required, and the only one qualified? You see my point?