View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 08:14 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by JayMahon View Post
I thought that training for your CFI required you to work with someone that had been doing CFI work for more than 2 years. The timebuilding guys are usually out by then. As far as flight training, isn't it just "commercial from the right seat" mixed with "instruction while flying"? Doing the commercial maneuvers could be done solo or splitting time with another pilot instead of paying for a CFI, either you can meet the standards from the right seat or you need to practice more.
Re-instating a CFI does not require a 2-year CFI (or technically any CFI), that's only for your initial CFI rating (whichever one you chose to do first).

Originally Posted by JayMahon View Post
I guess I'm confused about why a pilot at your level would be leaning so heavily on the crutch of letting the CFI plot the course of your training? Own it, partner with a CFI who will help you accomplish your objectives.
Crewed jets are a completely different animal from GA. I don't do enough GA to stay current, so I lean on CFI's who actually do a lot of it.

TCAS and ATC back you up on collision avoidance. Cessnas don't do that for you.

The other pilot always gets the radios, Cessnas don't do that either. ATC always gets a laugh when I do GA, and they always know what airline I fly for.

Then there's the whole auto-pilot thing. And try not to flare at 50'. Different animal.