Thread: CAN Layover
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 09:20 PM
Islandman
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2020

Not a Fed Ex pilot but I regularly fly into China from Hong Kong, sadly. The Gloria Hotel in CAN is still a dump with cockroaches and garbage piling up high as they don’t dispose of it daily as it’s considered Bio waste. The food is almost unbearable. I luckily have a Chinese friend who orders fresh fruit and vegetables for us to survive the 14 day quarantines. This is my 6th long quarantine since the Pandemic began. The biggest toll is the mental drain and caged animal feelings you get in here. Guangzhou has lifted the additional 7 day quarantine requirement but many cities like Beijing still have that in place. In the past we would move the final additional 7 days and stay in the Crowne Plaza. A big step up but we’re forced to eat just the hotel food. The Gloria allows outside food orders, the Crowne only allows packages. There is no alcohol allowed in the Gloria so if you want it then bring it. I have a small hot pot I cook veggies easy to boil like Kale and Broccoli and eat lots of salad. They give us 3 nasal COVID tests during the 14 days. I think Beijing and a few other cities now requiring the anal swabs, not here in Guangzhou so far. We normally stay about 60-90 days in Guangzhou and fly domestic trips, I’m on a VIP Corporate gig based in Hong Kong. We then go back to Hong Kong which just makes us wait at the airport for our COVID test results, normally about 2 hours until we get released. This is for travel from China to Hong Kong only and other places you go to the Sky City or another company contracted quarantine hotel. China is now giving vaccines to their citizens and have discussed a vaccine passport but knowing China I’m sure they will only initially allow those vaccinated with the SinoVac the ability to travel with that vaccine passport. All Chinese pilots have received the Sinovac but they quarantine for 14 days if they leave China unless it’s a ground stop thru flight. I think they are using 8 pilots on many of these long haul flights to avoid the long downtime but any high risk country such as the US is a mandatory quarantine. Just a little perspective from someone flying into China regularly. My advice is avoid this part of the world and their crazy BS tactics until vaccine passports become widely accepted and utilised.