Thread: XOJET Questions
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 06:21 PM
chase
XOJET Citation X

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: DO, Baker Aviation, Citation X

Sa227,

My comments in red below. Glad you found your experience worthwhile and enjoyable. I have found it to be the same.

Originally Posted by Sa227capt View Post
I worked for Xojet for quite sometime. It has been a while since I have posted something. I am happy that most of you enjoy working there. However, some of the negative points made by another poster are important too. His/her comments didn’t provide specifics IMHO and ignored the reality of internal (expansion, move headquarters 2500 miles, etc.) and external (COVID) factors that are of course going to impact operations. It is how a company leadership handles those challenges and no acknowledgment of those outcomes were expressed. And respectfully, one person doesn’t make a “negative point” true either. The history, early days of Brad Stewart ( and prior to his arrival) and with some former DO’s those complaints I’m told would be valid and were expressed on this forum..Back Course may have meant those times and you may have experienced those days no doubt..not the consensus now is very different and the multiple replies point that out. Was it a great place to work? Yes, for the most part. However, it had issues, such as pay, work load, etc. Those statements have been made about EVERY 121/135 carrier out there. Not industry leading then or now but much better IMHO.

However, we never had a "B" scale while I was there for almost 8 years. That is a game changer that throughout history has always divided a group. NO ONE ON XO PAYROLL IS BEING PAID A B SCALE THAT IM AWARE OF. Future hires MAY if certain financial targets are not met but the likelihood is before hiring returns those financial goals will be met. Since we are not hiring now that makes the above statement true. Flt ops and the RT as do all pilots understand the implications of a B scale. Instead of chastising someone for their honest and well thought out opinions, maybe you should look at the root causes. The root cause is COVID my friend. XO had become even more profitable prior to COVID resulting in pay raises and bonuses. It isn’t some nefarious, sinister labor versus pilot plot to simply save coins. If that was the case furloughs, dramatic pay cuts for all would’ve been implemented. Other 135 ops did just that..that shouldn’t be ignored or discarded as an irrelevant fact that management could’ve taken but didn’t.

For retirees looking for a second career, which it appears some of you are, it may be a great place to hang your hat. Retirees populate all 135 operators but are far and away a small percentage. For those just starting out, it may not be. I haven’t flown with anyone who has “just started out” at XO. The FOs and CAs are seasoned pilots from a diverse background (young 121 regionals, cargo, 91 ops, overseas, overseas experience, flight schools, etc) that I have seen and this definitely isn’t their first rodeo. Most could sniff out trouble under the hood when doing their due diligence. Doesn’t mean some don’t leave (other than major 121 carriers which is understandable for many whose goal is to get to a Major) but rarely that I’ve heard those reasons include: being treated poorly, disrespected, failed promises made or deceived by a false sales pitch for coming to work at XO All of the previous are common in the 135 industry. The minimums that are competitive are well above “just starting” out nums. However, being treated like family, having competitive benefits, a company focused on safety, flying great equipment, flying with a company that has a great reputation for producing great new hires at 121 carriers, having pro-pilot flt ops and management leaders are all things pilots of any experience would find to be a good choice when selecting their next step up. Maybe you should take that into account when chastising someone for their respective thoughts and opinions. If providing a different perspective or asking for specifics is “chastising” someone, with all do respect, I recommend not posting on forums to those who are offended when their opinions are challenged. Happy to have dissenting views but opinions disguised as facts that leave a reader with a very different opinion of a work environment should always be challenged or have sufficient backing to make the comments valid. Otherwise the reader is mislead. SPOILER ALERT: Not all opinions are the same, particularly mine 😱 .
Sounds like your one of the former XO pilots that 121 carriers love to have join their ranks. If that is where you wanted to end up and you have, congrats. Hope you continue to have a prosperous flying carrier. If you are doing something different, hope you are enjoying it as much as you enjoyed your time at XO. Cheers.