View Single Post
Old 04-02-2021, 07:58 AM
Herman Munster
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2021
Default Sim gouge

Here is some gouge on the 737 check ride:
For the oral the IP has a notebook, so the questions I got weren’t necessarily what the other guys got while I was there. If you have a regs book be sure to review the definitions, ie, what is a clearway, what is a category, etc...
I was asked a few questions from part 61, 91 and 121. I wasn’t asked anything from 119. I worried about lists, like how many fire extinguishers or PBE’s, but they were mostly stuff you already know, nothing in depth. Aerodynamics was nothing like, explain wave drag, it was about low speed stuff. From the AIM was runway lighting, markings and signs.
You get a briefing about the sim. Some of the things on the profiles have changed, but they explain it. They give good guidance on where things are, suggestions on pitch and power. You have some automation. No autothrust, but you have FD bars and an autopilot when you’re level and briefing an approach. No VNAV, but the NFP will work the VS as instructed on the VOR approach. The profile is exactly as what they sent you, in that order. Kennedy one and then air work, etc... It’s all straightforward.
I would suggest (I didn’t) if you’re an Airbus pilot, rent a sim or a FTD for an hour; not because you need the practice, but because the plane flys like a truck. It’s still sensitive like all sims, but you have to muscle it around and trim the thing constantly. It takes some muscle to move the yoke. Definitely not the three finger Airbus technique.
Lastly, it’s a check ride, but the IPs were friendly, helpful when asked and you’ll get the feeling they are pulling for you. I never got the impression they were looking for a bust, but you’ll do fine if you use your NFP, use the AP when you can, and let them know you are in command and you know where you are. Hope this helps.