Thread: 2025
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2021, 08:30 AM
GucciBoy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: Fetal

Originally Posted by Crown View Post
I for one am very pessimistic about the next 2-3 years. This coming from the eternal optimist...or at least mostly one.

Every time we seem to be turning a corner in this Covid fight, there's a doom and gloom headline out there. Just read one this morning that Michigan's cases are "skyrocketing". Every time with one of these headlines, the headline screams doom and gloom while the article, about 3-4 paragraphs down, mentions that the death rate from Covid is still decreasing even as cases seem to have stabilized.

Furthermore, the CDC director a few days ago said she had the feeling of "impending doom" coming. I do believe that's hyperbole, but how many average people out there believe what she's saying? How many government officials are going to listen to her, in the name of "science"?

Finally, until the mask mandate is gone (not just by jurisdiction or state, but gone gone), a lot of people will not want to travel. While I do give Biden a lot of credit for vaccine distribution, my personal feeling on this is he cannot claim victory over Covid until masks are gone. With that idiot Fauci constantly moving the goalposts (we don't need to beat it to death any more than we already have), I still see people in the airports wearing two masks, face shields, goggles, and sanitizing EVERYTHING.

My point is, my gut is telling me that the headlines for the next 12-18 months at least will be doom and gloom, trying to keep people indoors and away from their "normal" lifestyles. You're seeing a big pushback on it to be sure, but there's still plenty of people who are afraid of this Covid thing, and the media is doing us no favors.

I think we're all putting the cart before the horse thinking we're out of this.

A minimum of 30 million people have had COVID. There’s near universal agreement that the number is much higher. If we say that the infection rate is only twice as high as known cases, that’s still 60 million. Nearly 3 million people are getting a vaccine dose (or as Phins refers to it, “that poison”) every day. There won’t be anyone left to comprise a “4th wave”. It’s just math.