Old 04-12-2021, 07:29 PM
zippinbye
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: 320/A

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
So help me out here, what exactly does CPAP and OSA sufficiently managed to allow flight crew duties have to do with covid?

Or are they just hijacking health care for any condition if you land on their shores???
No plausible explanation offered. Evidently a COVID case from February in Melbourne (Australian Open tennis?) was traced back to a person that had utilized another type of pulmonary device - a nebulizer. The CPAP has been lumped into the same threat category as the nebulizer. Arguably, both of these machines are capable of atomizing whatever you you place in their chambers (asthma meds in a nebulizer, water in the optional humidifier in the case of a CPAP). So a moist, air-suspended solution being pumped somewhere .... into a human respiratory system, not out of a potentially infected set of lungs, the owner of which was checked for COVID pre departure and upon arrival.

If I have COVID, my normal exhale is going to disperse whatever biohazard is present into the room. Still scratching my head trying to determine how a CPAP would enhance the spread. One more instance of "following the science," it must be. There is zero evidence that a CPAP user is more prone to contracting COVID than the general population, but the waters become muddy in that I expect a good number of folks using a CPAP might also be obese. Mix that leap of logic with bit of wild speculation and "poof," you have sound government policy. Not the craziest facet of the pandemic, but loco enough for me.