View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 06:38 AM
soitgoes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by Freighthumper View Post
Ive only flown the MD and 757 here but from what I’ve seen, it’s rare to see someone use their own headset on the MD. Not uncommon on 757. One thing to consider since most people do one ear on/one ear off, is that any headset you may get would probably work best in our ops if you were able to have the left ear exposed easily(at least while your in the right seat). I have a Bose Ufly combo and unless the other guy is ok with using the intercom, it’s awkward with the ear piece mic arrangement. Hopefully they install those intercoms they have been talking about soon.
I have a question about this, just because I'm curious:

I'm a Herc driver/Regional puke, and we are headset fully on, 100% of the time at both. Obviously in the Herc it's required because the thing is so damn loud; the RJ is fairly quiet, but we still use the headset (I even use my noise-cancelling)... I think I could count on one to two hands the number of times I had another pilot in the RJ suggest we go off headset, and they were all CA's (before I upgraded)... never had an FO bring it up.

I hear/see conversations in all the Cargo/Major threads about headsets off or one-ear-off-one-ear-on ops, and just wonder why it's so common? The times that I "had" to do it, I had to talk MUCH louder to communicate with the other pilot (reminded me of trying to talk in a bar environment) and had the worst time with the intercom (too tinny and hard to understand). Seemed much more fatiguing to me than just wearing a headset.

Especially when taking into account hearing loss considerations, just thought I'd throw out the question(s)... Is it maybe a generational thing or maybe you just go with what you know?