Thread: ABX Opinions
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 08:59 PM
Reactivity
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Left, right & center

Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
If you live within driving distance of CVG, would that substantially increase QOL for this type of flying? Current regional FO and got an invite to do a phone screen.

"QOL" is highly subjective.

If you're like my friends who fly for the people-haulers and think that a four-day trip is long, then yes, you're going to prefer to live near CVG because it might be possible to get an extra day or two at home during the month - more if you're on reserve and bid "not fly". There are so many "not fly" bidders, though, that you'll probably be just as busy as anyone else until you're far enough up the list that have sufficient "not fly" bidders below you that they can cycle through before they get to you.

There are a number of us who commute from the west coast. I prefer to keep my commute trips to a minimum, so I mostly bid the single blocks. 16 or 17 days is a long haul, and I'm ready to go home by the end, but I and my family really enjoy that I'm frequently home for two weeks or more at a time, and I'm not having to unpack one day when I get home and repack right away to leave again a few days later. When I have vacation, I bid so that I get a solid 4 to 5 weeks off. I like the Q of my L just fine.