View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 06:48 AM
Gone Flying
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: UNA

Originally Posted by reandld View Post
What are the chances that a national seniority list could be created for the pilots at the legacy carriers? Say if AA, DL, and UA all had ALPA pilots and we did not have have loyalty to one carrier.

Rather than us working for the the individual airlines like we do now, we would work for ALPA and be placed in the different airlines based on demand.

This could eliminate all the different CBAs amongst the carriers and create a larger union presence, making the whole thing more streamlined.

This would eliminate individual pride in the airlines. We all the know a pilot who says "I would do this job for free."
1) I agree with Boiler...not gonna happen

2) this would be super tricky because only 1/2 of the big 6 (or big 4 if you exclude boxes) are ALPA,

3) technically AS and HA are legacy carriers, should they be included?

4) what about WN and B6?

this gets WAAY too complicated very fast, I think the closest it would ever get would be similar to how UAW negotiations used to be(not sure if it still works this way but I’ve been told this is how it used to work) where all of the big 3 work under the same contract. IIRC when they negotiated a new contract it was for all Ford, GM, and Chrysler employees.

EDIT: but I think there is something in RLA preventing this