View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 05:58 AM
Bucking Bar
Can't abide NAI

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler

Originally Posted by Superpilot92 View Post
I agree with you except the numbers you posted where assuming all pilots will fly to 65 and the simple fact is alot of our retirements are early outs meaning pre-60. Hopefully this gets squared away and is relatively fair to everyone.

Main thing is dont believe a BS newspaper, believe what the MEC tells you. Also another KEY thing that needs to come out of this is a LARGE pilot group who stands together and finally takes back our careers.
All I know about NWA retirements is what other NWA pilots write. Even on this board several senior NWA FO's have written that the Captains they fly with are almost all planning on staying, especially if Delta and a payout might be coming.

The NWA MEC has been talking to the papers and is the source of some of these rumors. Search Chairman Greg Rizzuto and Vice Chairman Matt Coons in the news and read for yourself. Again, I'm no NWA expert, all I know is what I read in the papers and these guys are quoted in the last few days.

Finally, "the pilots" are not coming together - NOT AT ALL - not even trying to. The majority of NWA's and Delta's narrowbody domestic flying by departures or block hour measures are flown by the 11 Connection / Airlink carriers. If there was any effort to get them on the list, I'd be much more supportive of this merger for the reasons you mention.

One of my biggest problems with the merger is scope. NWA is outsourcing DC-9 flying as quick as it can and YOUR UPGRADE is being lost in the process. Delta does the same here, although the 76 to 142 seat gap between the largest RJ and smallest narrowbody jet is harder to fill. The Airbus has coast to coast range going for it, but the Pratt GTF engine will take away that advantage in the future. IMHO we are not "powerful" pilot groups when we outsource most of our narrowbody domestic operations.

I'm almost at the point of writing that this merger is not going to happen. One important difference between NWA and Delta is the extent that the employees and management work together. I do not think the NWA negotiators appreciate what this means. While the Delta MEC does support the right merger, they have been clear that they will stop the wrong merger. Delta management has been clear that they will only do a merger that protects their employees seniority. This deal could get pulled off the table. Delta is very happy with their stand alone performance.

Last edited by Bucking Bar; 02-21-2008 at 06:07 AM.