View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Bucking Bar
Can't abide NAI

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler

Originally Posted by caddis View Post
Fins,

Let me give you my perspective as a 10 year NWA guy.

We have about a 1100 to 1200 normal age 65 retirements in the next 10 years, DAL has about 500 to 600.

About 20% of our list will be retiring and about 8% of your list. You have a very young pilot group ours is older.

We are parking some of our DC 9's but we are aquiring more a320s. You have 777s on order we have 787 on order 15 firm 50 options.

We will get a raise to DAL rates but both groups will get rates above that because of the merger.

So the question is how do we work this all out to be fair. Here is my simpleton idea.

A date of hire list with conditions. The condition is fences, 10 years accross the widebodies sounds about right. You keep your 777 and 767ER for your advancement we keep our 747, A330, and 787. After 10 years we will be on a normal retirement flow. Secondly is a no bump no flush across the board. You keep your seat after the merger only movement comes through vacancy awards.

I am know it may seem a bit simple but sometimes simple is the best. Whatever is done this group needs to unite for the future. Or am I the only one that worries about $1 Billion form KLM/Air France and cabotage.

As for the leather jackets, double breasted suits, and hats... now that is complicated.
First, let me apologize - this reply comes across as harsh and that isn't the intent. But I think there are additional considerations.

After 10 years the Delta pilots will be retiring in LARGER numbers than NWA and you want to effectively staple DAL guys then bring the fences down in time to cash in on their retirements.

Who's flying the 72 RJ's NWA has coming to replace much of the DC-9 flying? Those jobs are leaving the property if I'm not mistaken.

Outsourcing, returning to normal staffing and growth are each factors which impact senority progression as much as the NWA retirement numbers. Delta's hiring numbers were revised up to 500 this year. That will mean nearly 1,000 pilots since 02/07 with nearly no retirements - with a large number going straight to the heavies.

So lets see, 1,000 now for growth, or 1,000 maybe if capacity doesn't shrink, over 10 years....

How about a ratio integration by seat & pay? ALPA mergers in the past have been pay and equipment type based. That would be "fair" too by past practice.

Thank God, I think this merger is going to get pulled off the table. Keep your Northwest, your Northwest. I'm not worried about Cabotage - I think we can outperform an airline with expenses in Euros.

Last edited by Bucking Bar; 02-21-2008 at 06:44 AM.