View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 09:34 AM
caddis
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 320B

Originally Posted by Bucking Bar View Post
First, let me apologize - this reply comes across as harsh and that isn't the intent. But I think there are additional considerations.

After 10 years the Delta pilots will be retiring in LARGER numbers than NWA and you want to effectively staple DAL guys then bring the fences down in time to cash in on their retirements.

Who's flying the 72 RJ's NWA has coming to replace much of the DC-9 flying? Those jobs are leaving the property if I'm not mistaken.

Outsourcing, returning to normal staffing and growth are each factors which impact senority progression as much as the NWA retirement numbers. Delta's hiring numbers were revised up to 500 this year. That will mean nearly 1,000 pilots since 02/07 with nearly no retirements - with a large number going straight to the heavies.

So lets see, 1,000 now for growth, or 1,000 maybe if capacity doesn't shrink, over 10 years....

How about a ratio integration by seat & pay? ALPA mergers in the past have been pay and equipment type based. That would be "fair" too by past practice.

Thank God, I think this merger is going to get pulled off the table. Keep your Northwest, your Northwest. I'm not worried about Cabotage - I think we can outperform an airline with expenses in Euros.

First off I will be surprised, but not shocked if this merger goes off the table. To much has been going on in the background for a few years. You have the fact that both companies went into bankruptcy on the same day, admitted to discussions back then of a merger, Pinacle now doing flying for both Northwest and Delta, Air France and KLM merging, and last but not least Richard Anderson coming in to be the CEO.

Also your Executive VP just came out yesterday and said that the merger would make DAL a "Global Airline" and thats what the market place demands.

As far as placing people on the senority list by pay and equipment I doubt it will happen. Yes you have new hires going to the right seat of the ER in New York but you also have 2000 hires sitting on the -88. So do you punish your guys for bidding lifestyle over paycheck?

For me personally I guys I am expecting to lose some senority, how much is the question. I guess one thing I would not vote for is any deal that places anyone on either list hired prior to Sept 11 placed behind anyone hired in 2007.

Someone else already said it. If management and the BOD wants the merger to happen it will happen. Watch over the next few days for the carrot and stick method of management to occur.

Lets just hope that if this happens that we all have jobs and it leads to the international growth that management says it will.